Getting Help with Depression and Suicide
Algoma Family Services
Toll Free: 1-800-461-2237
Sault Area Hospital
24 hr/7 days a week Crisis Response line for depression and suicide
Toll Free: 1-800-721-0077
There have been many cases of children committing suicide because of bullying, depression, and cyberbullying. Here is a list of cases of children that have all committed suicide:
Ryan Halligan was a victim of cyberbullying. This site is dedicated to the memory of Ryan and all young people suffering from bullying and having thoughts of suicide. There is valuable information about suicide, suicide prevention, bullying, and cyberbullying that we encourage everyone to check out.
Chase Edwards was driven to suicide from depression. His memorial website has very important information about depression and warning signs of depression that are very useful. If you suspect a student or your child is depressed please take a look at this website and click on the warning signs of depression on the main page for information.
Feeling better will happen gradually, you will feel yourself getting better day by day. You will notice more positive thinking replacing the negative thinking that was connected to your depression. Other things that you can do as part of your daily routines are listed below to help you in your recovery:
- Commit to working out issues by attending regular sessions and being honest with your therapist
- Outside of therapy, set realistic goals you need to achieve in your day-to-day life and reward yourself when you complete one of these goals
- Take on a reasonable amount of responsibility and ask for help if you feel overwhelmed
- Set priorities
- Try to spend time with other people and to confide your feelings to someone
- Participate in activities that make you feel better such as going to a movie, playing sports, or any other social activity that makes you smile
- Make time for exercise, but don't over-do it.
And most of all smile. Smiling will help you feel better, even if you have to force it. Try smiling at people and see how many smile back at you!